Medicare Members: Take Advantage of Your Covered Preventive ServicesAugust 25, 2017
Preventive health care can help detect diseases early — when they’re easiest to treat. That’s good news for qualified Medicare beneficiaries, because many preventive services are covered by Medicare
- Get the Preventive Benefits You’ve Earned, Including Annual Doctor Visits
It’s smart to take advantage of your Welcome to Medicare preventive visit.
- Go see your doctor during the first 12 months of being a Medicare beneficiary with Part B coverage for this important preventive visit.
- Your visit will include a review of both your medical and social history (as it relates to your health), plus education about services like recommended screenings, shots and referrals for other care if you need.
Qualified Medicare beneficiaries who've had Part B for at least a year can also get an annual wellness visit. When you set this appointment, be sure to let your doctor's office know that it's your yearly wellness visit, which is included in your Medicare coverage once every 12 months. During your visit, you can expect to fill out a Health Risk Assessment questionnaire and receive:
- A review of your medical and family history.
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements.
- Detection of any cognitive impairment.
- Personalized health advice.
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you.
- A screening schedule (like a checklist) for appropriate preventive services.
- The option to include an advance care planning discussion.
Keep in mind, you’re entitled to these preventive services — whether you get your benefits through Original Medicare (specifically Part B) or choose to get your benefits through a Medicare Advantage (Part C) from a private insurer.
- What Other Preventive Care Is Covered At No Cost?
If you are considered at risk or otherwise eligible, Medicare covers 100% of its approved amount (with no Part B deductible) for all of these services:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening.
- Alcohol misuse screening.
- Bone mass measurement.
- Breast cancer screening/mammogram.
- Cervical and vaginal cancer screening.
- Depression screening.
- Diabetes screening.
- EKG heart screening.
- Flu shot.
- Hepatitis B shots.
- Hepatitis C screening.
- HIV screening.
- Laboratory services.
- Lung cancer screening.
- Medical nutrition therapy.
- Obesity screening and counseling.
- Pneumonia shots.
Medicare coverage also extends to these services, but with a few limitations:
- Cardiovascular heart disease screening — screenings are free, but the doctor visit may require a copay.
- Colon colorectal cancer screening — the colonoscopy test is free, but there may be a copay for polyp removal.
- Glaucoma screening — 80% of the Medicare-approved amount is covered, after you pay the Part B deductible.
- Prostate cancer screening — the PSA test is free with no Part B deductible; for a digital rectal exam, 80% of the Medicare-approved amount is covered after you pay the Part B deductible.
- Sexually Transmitted Illness (STI) screening and counseling — free if your doctor orders tests and they are performed in a Medicare-approved lab.
- Smoking cessation counseling — free for those who do not have a smoking-related illness; 80% covered for those who do.
Keep in mind, the Medicare-approved amount assumes your doctors and other providers accept it as payment in full, which is known as "assignment." If you get your services from someone who doesn't accept assignment, you might pay more. Even if you do, it can still be a great investment in your overall health.
Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company is a PDP plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company depends on contract renewal. Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company (Anthem) has contracted with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to offer the Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) noted above or herein. Anthem is the state-licensed, risk-bearing entity offering these plans. Anthem has retained the services of its related companies and authorized agents/brokers/producers to provide administrative services and/or to make the PDPs available in this region. Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross name and symbol are registered marks of the Blue Cross Association.
Anthem Blue Cross is an HMO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Anthem Blue Cross depends on contract renewal. Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Independent licensee of the Blue Cross Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross name and symbol are registered marks of the Blue Cross Association.
Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Independent licensee of the Blue Cross Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross name and symbol are registered marks of the Blue Cross Association.
This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or co- payments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year. You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
Attention: If you speak any language other than English, language assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call our Customer Service number, (TTY: 711). ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame a nuestro número de Servicio de Atención al Cliente (TTY: 711). 注意：如果您使用非英語的其他語言，您可以免費獲得語言援助服務。請致電聯絡客戶服務部（聽語障用戶請致電：711）。