Using Telehealth to Access Medical CareJune 30, 2020
In these uncertain times, it helps to have options for receiving care when you don't feel well. If you want to visit a doctor without leaving your home, you may want to consider telehealth.
- What is telehealth?
Also called telemedicine, telehealth enables you to see a doctor using your mobile device or computer with a webcam. Telehealth doctors treat common health issues like a cold, the flu, a fever, rashes, allergies and more.
- Why choose telehealth?
Telehealth is a good choice when your regular doctor isn't available. It is also a good alternative to the emergency room and can help you avoid long waits at an urgent care center. Other advantages include:
- Access. Telehealth services are easy to use. You simply download an app or visit a website.
- After you register, you can use the service wherever you have an internet connection.
- Affordability. A telehealth visit costs about the same as or less than a doctor’s office visit.
- Quality. In a recent study, participants who used telehealth said they were very satisfied and found it simple to connect. They also recommended it to others.1
- How do I use telehealth?
If you are interested in trying telehealth but aren’t sure where to begin, below are a few recommendations:
- Contact your health plan. Telehealth services may be offered as part of your health benefits.
- If you don’t have health coverage, you can still use a service like LiveHealth Online.You will just pay a set fee for the visit.
- Use the Sydney Care mobile app. With this app, you can receive answers to your questions using the Symptom Checker. If you need medical care, the app will connect you to a doctor through a Virtual Care text session or a LiveHealth Online video session. You can use this whether you have health coverage or not. Download the app from the App StoreSM or Google Play™.
- Call your doctor or local hospital to see if they are offering telehealth.
- What is the future of telehealth?
Because more people are working from home, telehealth is becoming more popular. Using telehealth can help you save the time and cost it takes to go to a doctor's office. Additionally, you will know the cost upfront so there are no surprises. With all of these advantages, telehealth is quickly becoming a more common way to visit the doctor.
Next time you aren't feeling well and want to see a doctor, you may want to try telehealth. It's a great way to access medical care from the safety and comfort of your home.
References:1 J.D. Power website: 2019 U.S. Telehealth Satisfaction Study (accessed June 2020): jdpower.com.
LiveHealth Online is the trade name of Health Management Corporation, a separate company providing telehealth services on behalf of Anthem Blue Cross